Friday 18 February 2011

This week, it happens in the nest; the fledglings love their poetry best ...

It is not often that I feel compelled to censor the sleep thieves ever growing library. However, after one two many readings of one particular Christmas annual (rather badly written, and full of mistakes), the offending book became tragically 'lost' behind the sofa, allowing curly tailed offendors to be replaced by this:

Culture!!!
Well, almost.

The sleep thieves have been delighted by tales of little girls falling into jam, dancing sausages, and singing kettles. I am delighted in equal measure, and have been taking nostalgic trips back to poems I read as a child - The Land of Counterpane, Jabberwocky and even Kubla Khan!

Inspired by my boys, I have been spending evenings post sleep thief with Mary Oliver, whom I would wholeheartedly recommend.


Tonight, poetry readings will be susbtituted by a glass of the house red ... and Casualty on catch up tv ... well it wouldn't do to get too cultured ...




1 comment:

  1. You're putting the poet to shame. My book of children's poems is in our loft (with everything else).
    Will look up Mary Oliver. Enjoy culture in all it's forms.

    ReplyDelete